About Instruments on Approval
As each instrument and each musician is unique, we know how difficult it is to find the perfect instrument online. That’s why we offer the instruments on approval service. It’s a great opportunity to try instruments without committing to purchase. Just pick up to three instruments at a time, pay for shipping, and we’ll send them to you for a one-week trial.* You can try them out in the comfort of your home or take them to ensembles, workshops, and lessons to get the best sense of which instrument is right for you. When you’ve made your decision, send back what you don’t want and we’ll only charge you for what you keep.
The trial period is one week, after which time we charge a late fee. Contact us if there are extenuating circumstances and you need an extension. To preserve the integrity of our wooden wind instruments, we ask that customers limit their playing to 10 to 15 minutes each day. Please also take care in handling all of our instruments, especially if you’re playing after eating or you’re wearing makeup. Unfortunately, we do not send instruments on approval to smoking households as the smell is impossible to remove. We may charge for damages if instruments aren’t returned in the same condition in which they were received.
If you are interested in trying instruments on approval, contact us with the instruments you are interested in trying. And if you aren't sure where to start, we are always happy to help you make a selection.
*Note: We typically only send out one larger instrument at a time. This includes violas da gamba, cellos and great bass recorders. Selections are also limited to what is currently in stock.
Summary of Terms & Conditions for Orders on Approval:
- Trial period is one week, beginning upon receipt of instruments. Please contact us if an extension is needed.
- Customer is responsible for the outgoing cost of shipment whether an instrument is purchased or not. The shipping fee will be charged upon shipment of the order. All other charges will be processed when the trial is complete and the order is finalized.
- Please limit your playing to 10 to 15 minutes per day for each instrument.
- We ask that you take care in handling all instruments and avoid playing after eating or while wearing makeup. (Note: We do not lend instruments to smoking households)
- Please do not use a thumb rest when trying an instrument.
- Please seal wooden instruments in a plastic bag and pack them carefully before shipping. We encourage customers to save and use the same packing materials the instruments were sent in.
- A return label is included with each order to cover any needed returns. There is no need to add additional insurance to this return label. If you choose to purchase your own label, please insure your return package for the total cost of the instruments being shipped. If the package is not insured, the customer will be responsible for any damages.
- Customer is responsible for damages if instruments are not returned in the same condition in which they were received.
- Duponol and Bore Oil are included with the purchase of a recorder or can be purchased separately. (Bore oil is not included with pearwood and maple instruments.)
Frequently Asked Questions:
Can I try a special order instrument on approval?
No, all special order instruments are considered final purchases.
How do I order instruments on approval?
Contact us with the instruments you’d like to try, your shipping address, and contact information and we will reach out to you. We will need a credit card to keep on file for the duration of your trial.
What if I need more than one week?
Contact us If you have extenuating circumstances and can't return your instruments after a week. If we don’t hear from you we may charge you a late fee.
Can I take my instrument to a lesson or workshop?
Yes! We encourage it. Seeing the instruments in the context of your ensemble or asking a teacher for advice are often great ways to make your decision.
What do I do when I've made my selection(s)?
Once you’ve made your decision, use the included return label to send back any unwanted instruments according to the guidelines in our return policy. That means wooden instruments need to be sealed in an airtight bag. When we’ve received and processed your package we’ll charge your card and send you an invoice.
Do you keep credit card information on file?
We keep your credit card information on file until the whole process is complete – unwanted instruments are safely returned and payment is processed. After that we will delete your information unless you ask us to keep it on file for future purchases.
Do you send out instruments on approval internationally?
Due to the prohibitive cost of two-way international shipping, we don't offer instrument on approval services to international shipping addresses.